Yes, gold face masks really work. Studies have shown that these shimmering and luxurious skincare products aren’t just beautiful– they also offer anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-acne, and anti-aging benefits. Gold masks are often infused with a serum that contains colloidal gold that absorbs directly into your skin.
The Benefits of Gold Face Masks
Gold face masks have been used for thousands of years. Ancient Romans and Japanese used gold in makeup and medicine, and Cleopatra is said to have slept in a gold face mask every night. The tradition continues to this day, with everyday people and celebrities alike swearing by gold masks as part of their skincare routines.
Studies have shown that gold face masks offer benefits like:
- Anti-Inflammatory – A study conducted in 2018 found that gold nanoparticles prevented the production of molecules that have been connected to skin inflammation. This is an important benefit for people with inflammatory skin conditions like rosacea.
- Antioxidant – Free radicals are irritants that can damage collagen and skin DNA and cause faster aging. Gold has been shown to have antioxidant properties, meaning it can limit free radical production and therefore protect skin from unnecessary damage.
- Anti-Acne – Gold has also been shown to have anti-bacterial properties. Another study found that gold nanoparticles when combined with other antioxidants, can help wounds heal faster. This anti-bacterial strength, combined with its anti-inflammatory uses, means gold can be a big help for people with acne-prone skin.
- Reduce Collagen Loss – Other experts theorize that gold can promote natural collagen production, which can reduce collagen loss over time.
- Increased Circulation – Gold can also help boost blood circulation in the skin. This increased circulation leaves skin looking more energized and luminous in the short-term.
- Increased Absorption of Other Ingredients – A 2010 study by AAPS PharmSciTech found that gold nanoparticles increase the efficacy and absorption of other skincare ingredients like collagen, retinoic, and ascorbic acid.
Not All Gold Masks Are Created Equal
Not every gold face mask will give you these benefits. There are two kinds used in skincare products: large gold flakes and gold nanoparticles.
The large gold flakes are visible to the naked eye. While their size makes them pretty and Insta-worthy, it also prevents them from penetrating the skin’s surface. Nanogold particles, however, are small enough to pass through the outermost layers and improve your skin.
Possible Side Effects of Gold Face Masks
Like any other skincare product, there are possible side effects. The biggest risk is an allergic reaction. Though gold is considered a hypoallergenic element, it can sometimes cause redness, swelling, itching, and flaking. Discontinue use if you experience any of these symptoms.
Give Gold a Try
With all these benefits, why not give gold face masks a try?
We recommend using one of our KNESKO luxurious gold face masks. Made with colloidal gold (tiny gold particles suspended in liquid), our gold serums quickly and deeply infuse into your skin to calm, repair, firm, and lift from the inside-out. Using KNESKO’s GEMCLINICAL™ proprietary serum, our face and eye masks deliver the benefits of gold deep into your pores so your skin can absorb the masks’ active ingredients.