Used in Chinese and Ayurvedic remedies for years, bakuchiol has proven benefits for all skin types. This plant-based extract is praised for anti-aging properties that rival those of retinol—but with less risk of dryness and irritation.
What Is bakuchiol?
Bakuchiol is a hydrating agent extracted from the seeds and leaves of the Babchi plant (Psoralea corylifolia), which is native to India. Historically, it has been incorporated in skin treatments to reduce inflammation, soothe redness, and help heal minor cuts.
This potent plant-based ingredient boasts the trifecta of skin restoring properties: it’s anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and a natural antioxidant. Additionally, it’s a proven ingredient to trigger collagen-producing receptors in the dermis, which explains the fanfare around bakuchiol for sun-damaged and mature skin. But as you’ll see below, these aren’t the only skin types that benefit from bakuchiol!
Benefits of bakuchiol in skincare
Since bakuchiol is not derived from Vitamin A, it’s a suitable option for use on sensitive skin prone to rosacea, eczema, and dermatitis. Moreover, this vegan powerhouse plays nicely with other actives, so you don’t have to worry about adverse interactions with your current skincare products.
When a bakuchiol-containing product makes into your skincare regimen, here are some of the benefits you can expect:
- Anti-aging properties —Bakuchiol signals receptors to produce collagen and speeds up cellular turnover. This helps to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while restoring firmness.
- Evens skin tone – This retinol alternative lessens the appearance of hyperpigmentation caused by UV exposure for a more even-toned complexion.
- Soothes and restores – Bakuchiol’s anti-inflammatory qualities reduce redness and irritation.
- Stops breakouts — Bakuchiol regulates the enzyme that increases sebum production and inhibits acne-causing bacteria growth.
- Photo-stable — Bakuchiol does not react with UV light, so it can be used in the mornings.
- Refines skin texture – Bakuchiol restores elasticity while improving the texture of photo-damaged skin.
- Non-irritating — Bakuchiol is exceptionally gentle, making it ideal for reactive skin types.
TL;DR: this natural ingredient boosts healthy cell renewal, corrects signs of photo-aging, and lightens dark spots for a more luminous, even complexion.
How to use bakuchiol
Bakuchiol is most effective when applied to clean skin before your regular moisturizer. Since it’s gentle and not photosensitizing, you can apply it twice a day—morning and evening—for maximum results. This plant extract is safe to use with other actives, including hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, Arbutin, ceramides, and Vitamin C.
Boost skin radiance with bakuchiol-infused serums
Scientifically formulated with clean, natural ingredients, KNESKO formulas harness GEMCLINICAL® Technology to optimize results. Our skincare products are holistically designed to stimulate the body’s regenerative processes while helping to rebalance the spirit.
Our advanced serum with bakuchiol and radiance-boosting actives leaves the skin soft and glowing from the inside out. Treat yourself to more youthful, luminous skin. Start your transformational journey with KNESKO today and take advantage of free shipping on all orders of $70+ within the U.S.