Licorice root helps protect, brighten, and soothe the skin. Though we can’t eliminate our exposure to free radicals in our environment, we can create a skincare routine that includes the antioxidant, radiance-boosting, soothing power of this natural ingredient.
What Is Licorice Root?
Both licorice (the sweet treat) and licorice root extract (the skincare ingredient) come from Glycyrrhiza glabra, also known as the licorice plant. This plant’s roots have been used in both food and medicine for centuries as they contain antioxidant, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
In fact, it’s some of these compounds that can support our skin—doing everything from protecting and soothing, to brightening and treating skin conditions.
The Skincare Benefits of Licorice Root Extract
This ancient plant offers a whole host of benefits. According to research, licorice root extract:
- Helps Reduce Hyperpigmentation – Dark spots and uneven skin tone is a condition called hyperpigmentation. It occurs when the skin produces more melanin in certain areas than in others. While melanin production is quite complex, it does involve the enzyme tyrosinase. Licorice root extract has been shown to slow or even stop tyrosinase production, which can help reduce hyperpigmentation.
- Is a Powerful Antioxidant – Glycyrrhizin is an acid found in licorice root. While this acid makes licorice candy tasty, its most important benefit is its ability to stop free radicals from damaging the skin. In other words, it’s a powerful antioxidant.
- Soothes Skin – Glycyrrhizin is also anti-inflammatory, which means it helps soothe skin by reducing irritation, redness, and inflammation.
- Protects Skin – Licorice root also contains licochalconeA, a compound known for its fortifying properties. What does this mean? Licochalcone A helps the skin make more of its own natural antioxidants, which helps keep skin safe from free radicals and UV exposure.
- Helps Control Oil Production – There is also some evidence that suggests licochalconeA can help curb or control the skin’s oil production. Because it’s able to help regulate natural oil production, licorice root extract has often been used as a dandruff treatment in ancient Ayurvedic medicine.
How to Use Licorice Root on Your Skin
Licorice root extract is most effective when applied topically to the skin and used in conjunction with other brightening antioxidants, like vitamin C and niacinamide.
Serums and face masks with high concentrations of licorice root extract and Vitamin C are the best ways to make this helpful ingredient part of your skincare routine. Be careful to wear sunscreen every day when using a brightening ingredient like licorice root extract, as sun exposure will counteract its benefits.
Calm, Protect, and Sooth Your Skin
If you’re thinking about adding licorice root extract to your skincare regimen, using a skin brightening face mask is one of the best ways to calm, protect, and soothe your skin. The masks in KNESKO’s Rose Quartz Antioxidant Collection are powered with natural, potent ingredients like Licorice Root Extract and Vitamin C, offering hydration, healing, and nourishment that will leave your skin youthful and bright. Use our masks as often as needed to rejuvenate your skin, relax your mind, and rebalance your spirit.